Sunday, February 9, 2014

Leonid Afremov vs. Iris Scott

Good day to start a blog! My morning started fresh with my hands getting dirty from ceramics which are without a doubt so much fun regardless.

Anyway, todays artists are basically professional painters, whose works I have great passion for. Their paintings are remarkable and their similarities would be brush/finger marking.


The first artist, Leonid Afremov, is personally my favorite. Afremov was born in Belarus 1955 and currently lives in Playa Del Carmen, Mexico. His paintings are collected all over the world. He asserts his passion towards art when he says, “I love to express the beauty, harmony and spirit of this world in my paintings. My heart is completely open to art.”(Leonid Afremov) His mediums are oil paint and pallet knife.  I guess he likes to mark on canvas.

He mostly paints landscape, cityscape, and figures. His unique paint markings are really easy to recognize and the colours of his paintings are relatively all similar.  He is greatly influenced by Michael Flohr, the impression artist, and people might argue that both artists have somewhat of a similar style. However I think Afremovs paintings are rather bright and positive compared to Flohr’s.

I love his style and it brings me into the scene with all the fun colors. 





Iris Scott is our second artist who also has a strong and exemplary style in her paintings. She graduated in Washington State University from Fine Arts Bachelor and moved to Taiwan to dedicate her art skills at a low cost of living.

Unlike other paint artists that use paint brushes, she uses her fingers to paint. One of the reasons why she started to paint using her fingers is probably her laziness. She did not want to wash off her brushes every time she would use a dark or brighter color and so she decided to use fingers as she can simply wipe them off. 

I was a child when I heard of finger painting. I pressed my fingers on to various colours of stamp pads and stamped on clean sheet of papers while playing around. Like this!


For Iris Scott, it is not just about finger stamping; she has a fine finger movement, which dictates her thick and juicy texture on canvases. Her works are also concentrated on outdoors, landscape and figures. 





Conclusively, both artists use different styles as well as mediums. But one commonality in them is the marking on the canvas. They have such a unique style to be recognized and their works are colorful which are filled up with their specific impressions.

If you are interested to see more works of two artists, feel free to visit these sites!


References:

No comments:

Post a Comment