Monday, February 10, 2014

Yayoi Kusama vs. Damien Hirst

I think this might be my last post. I have been busy for past days but no worries. 

For my fifth post, I have decided to focus on some famous artists that are recognized by lots of people. Their explicit styles of art have induced fascinations on the global arena.


The first artist Im going to introduce is Yayoi Kusama. Some of you might have seen her works since they are well-known. She is both an artist and a writer. In addition to that she is currently one among the various influential artists in Japan who are still alive. Her works are based on conceptual art; she has worked with various isms of feminism, minimalism, surrealism, Art Brut, pop art and abstract expressionism. 



The piece of work that got me fascinated is called the “Dots Obsession”; it is an installation project of Dots everywhere in a room. When she was releasing this piece, she wrote, "Forget yourself. Become one with eternity. Become part of your environment. Make love."



Another installation called “Obliteration Room” (photos above) was exhibited on 2011. Kusama developed a popular interactive children’s project.

This is an interesting installation because at first, the whole room was painted in white depicting an Australian domestic environment. The white room may be a function of a blank canvas ready to be invigorated (or obliterated’ in Kusama’s vocabulary). Children would visit this place and put colourful dot stickers around the room and eventually ending up with a room full of colour dots obliterated.

 There are also hundreds of famous works done by Kumasa. Surprisingly, she is 84 years-old and her passion in art will never subside.

Look now, See forever – Yayoi Kusama


Damien Hirst is also a very famous and loving artist globally. Just like Kumasa, he is a dot lover. He is a conceptual, installation and painting artist. Most of his recognized pieces of art are about death where he exhibits a dead shark, sheep and cow. But what Im going to focus on today is about his paintings.

To create that structure, to do those colours, and do nothing. I suddenly got what I wanted. It was just a way of pinning down the joy of colour,” (Damien Hirst).

Through 1986 to present days, he hires painting assistants to paint the perfect dots. It is amazing how those paintings cost approximately 0.5 million to 3.5 million dollars. 




There are 1,500 paintings of dots that he and his team of assistants have produced and they are currently working on a million dots, which will take about nine years to complete.

I remember, playing a game on my phone called ‘Dots,’ which looks very similar to Hirsts paintings. That was before when I knew his game which is available in the appstore. It is really fun.

Kusama and Hirst are both famous artists, whose styles I can define clearly. Their refinements of dots have caught my attention, especially Kusamas installments which have added some sort of elegance and beauty into her works. The simple rows of coloured dots also came to me as an inspiration. It is amazing how Hirst can work on his other works as well as dot paintings which are quite different from each other. Both artists have used dots to create their works; nevertheless, the results came out totally different despite using the same style. I absolutely love works by both artists. However I have to admit that Yayois works have a more defined approach towards the world of dots. Moreover, Yayois works were lot influenced by dots, turning out into her own world.

For doing this blog, I learned so much about the contemporary artists and read lots of articles. Finding artists with common traits was not the easiest thing, especially on this blog. Both artists are known globally and so there were so much to read. It was really fun researching and looking at their works. I appreciate what I have done and if I have time, I will consider doing this later when things are more settled following my preparation into post-secondary.


Thanks for everyone that has visited my blog! Love you all from my heart <3

References:

No comments:

Post a Comment